Wednesday, 7 July 2010

4th visit to Barnby Dun!

After our exciting arrival at Selby, we were both shattered.   It was not so much from physical exercise as mental trepidation!
Tuesday was a delightful day as it was lovely to be back on a canal again, albeit a very weedy one.  Before leaving we walked into Selby and visited the Abbey which was well worth the visit.

The town was also well worth the walk.  Shopping was good with a good burcher and baker as well as a Sainsburys.   The baker was the same chain as the one in York where I had found lovely buns for our morning elevenses!!!! 

The Selby canal is possibly not the most picturesque on the system but compared to the tidal Ouse it is sheer bliss.........We stopped at Haddesly flood lock to clear the weed and continued down to moor above Pollington Lock on the Aire.
We are retracing our steps now so I don't have the incentive to take photos!
Today, Wednesday we had an early start as there was rain forecast later.   We traversed the New Junction canal yet again with Geoff and Barney walking most of the way between the swing and lifting bridges.   It was extremely windy...on the nose....
We reached our intended destination of Barnby Dun by 1130 and found a mooring space.   We had to use stakes as we were beyond where the mooring bollards are.  However we felt we were securely tied on with 3 stakes and we were between two other boats.
What a mistake.........the HUMBER PRINCESS is normally the only big boat to go through and she is normally going quite slowly as she approaches the lifting bridge, so although we have moved around a bit there has never been a problem.
We were just finishing our cup of coffee when HUMBER PRIDE rumbled along, somewhat faster than we had anticipated.  Her wash succeeded in pulling out all 3 of our stakes as the ground is too soft.  It also pulled out the boat in front and behind.   There were a few exciting minutes as we both tried to hold Petroc and stop her going into the little plastic job in front........only just managed it......
The moral to this story is that one should not moor anywhere on these rivers where commercial boats ply, unless you are securely tied to and learn......
Shortly afterwards Geoff disappeared to catch the bus to Doncaster and I went into the shower.   We did not anticipate a return for at least a few hours as she goes all the way up to Rotherham.  As I came out drying myself I saw a boat leaving a space that was on the bollards, so hastily put some clothes on and moved Petroc up in safety.  Feel much happier now.

We have checked with the Keadby Lock keeper and it looks like 6am Saturday is a good time to leave for West Stockwith, so we shall stay here tomorrow and travel down to Keadby on Friday prior to tackling the tidal Trent.  We will be on neap tides so he says it is the best day.    Later in the week it is coming up to some of the highest spring tides of the year so we are keen to avoid them.........

No comments: