Monday, 16 August 2010

Up and Down the Witham

Anne & Keith duly arrived in time for late lunch and luckily made it to the boat in between showers.
We had the option of continuing to Boston or returning up river to  Bardney.  We were about equidistant from these two sani-stations and with 4 of us on board for the weekend it was a necessity!!

We opted for the return to Bardney, so Saturday we went through the lock up to the sani station but then turned again and went back 1/2 a mile to the moorings at Bardney Bridge.  They were empty when we arrived although they filled up over the weekend.  There is room for 3 narrowboats there and it is very pleasant and a short walk up to the village.  Keith had walked the whole distance as he always does when they join us.  Partly because he enjoys walking but also because he gets motion sick...........we did suggest he tried the short run back from the lock to the moorings at Bardney and steered the boat, but he declined the offer, obviously deciding to err on the side of caution.  He seems to be OK when we are moored.

The weather was kind to us for the weekend as you can see

On Sunday Geoff and I went to the Parish Church of St Lawrence where they had a service for their Patronal Festival.  It was quite a large church and very light and had wonderful paintings in the Chancel.  They were apparently done in 1920 but renovated (at vast expense) in 2000
Later we all walked up to The Nags Head where we had a good Sunday Roast.  En route we passed this building

I might pass on the Offal!

Another indication of the railway that used to be
The Water Rail Way along the track of the disused railway which runs from Lincoln to Boston is proving very useful for Keith and his walking!  It has been tarmacked and seems popular with walkers and cyclists.

We set off early on Monday, well earlier than of late......8.15 in fact.   The destination was Kirkstead Bridge which is the mooring if you want to explore Woodhall Spa.  It is well worth a visit, a delightful town which must have been very popular in its heyday when people came to take the waters.  A wonderful delicatessen/bakery and many shops.  Supermarkets were catered for by Budgens which was not huge but quite well stocked.  The town is well over a mile from the moorings but well worth the trip.  However this morning I had a free ride as Anne & Keith had left their car there.  

They departed after coffee as we had decided to carry on to be close to Boston.  I have been suffering with toothache for a while and have finally given in and decided that enough is enough.  I have managed to get an emergency appointment for Tuesday afternoon in a practice just outside Boston.

We had a pleasant run down, not a lot to see as usual on this waterway, but it has a charm all of its own and is a very restful waterway to travel on.  There is plenty of wild life but not a lot of habitation.

We have joined one other boat on the moorings at Langrick Bridge which leaves us just a couple of miles to go to Boston tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Hello Geoff and Gillian. I have arrived in Reading and just read your blogs. What wonderfull trips one can have on the waterways.
I do not know how to connect with you both as travelling by coach and being picked up by my hosts at coach destinations. I have to leave UK on Sept 20th,but if at all possible to meet up with you both will try. I am using Chris Widdows in Reading as my hub for contact.Home phone 0118 962 3721 mob 07876 228682
best Reg Turner e mail