Wednesday 24 June 2009

Getting closer to the Shroppie

Wednesday 24th June

A very early start today with no fixed goal. Clear sky although at 0630 I found the knees a little chilly as I had put on my shorts!

At Stourton junction we turned right and shortly afterwards passed the Devils Den. A peculiar cave set deep into the rock, said to have been the boathouse of the Foley Family at Prestwood hall (Whoever and wherever they and it may be!)

A couple of stops en route, watering etc, and then the paper and milk, but we gently bimbled along until we had had enough........I reach this point before Geoff at the moment as my back is still troubling me and I cannot do the walking I promised myself at the beginning of the trip. However he is reasonably(sic) understanding when I show signs of tiring.

We have eventually moored just before the Bratch locks. I have discovered that I get a lie-in tomorrow as the locks don't open until 8am. The lock keeper has a few things for sale including some second hand winch handles. I bought a lovely one for £4.50 which was painted blue (to match Petroc!). I felt it was a much better bargain than the rusty one Geoff gave £5 at the top of the Tardebigge!

1 comment:

John and Fiona on nb Epiphany said...

Some great blogs today, Gill. Sorry to hear you're not 100% fit - hope you get better soon.
WPBW
John & Fi