Thursday 12 June 2008

Pewsey



Wednesday 11th June

An easy day today, 1 lock and 3 miles!! I walked the 3 miles for my exercise as the towpath is good along here. We shared the lock with another boat the first time for ages we had done that. Since I was walking I nobly said they should go ahead and what a mistake that was. They then crawled along and I was in Pewsey long before them. The mooring possibilities did not look hopeful so I called John Slee to ask him where he was. I discovered he was almost adjacent to me but moored outside another boat so I had not seen him! Ascertained that there was nothing further ahead so went back to stop Geoff coming too far. There are 48hour moorings there but mostly it appeared they were taken up by much longer term boats. In the event we managed to find one space where we could at least get our bows in for Ellie to get off.
We repaired to the pub for a drink with John (Fi was at work) and then he kindly made us lunch on Epiphany. It was our first look "in the flesh" as all we had seen was her pictures on the net. She is very different from Petroc in layout but lovely inside and they are very pleased with her. We were very envious of their two comfy armchairs but we had to sacrifice those for our L-shaped settee which converts to a large double bed....one cannot have everything.
In the evening Fi kindly drove us to the Swan pub at Wilcot where we had an excellent meal, all home cooked and a very friendly reception. Another recommendation for all boaters. You can apparently moor by bridge 117 to walk to it and we shall certainly try to do that on the way back

No comments: