Saturday 10 May 2008

Onwards from Banbury

7th May

Disaster! Whilst watching a TV program on my computer last night the computer died...blank screen and strange noises. All attempts to reboot failed. Since I pay Currys a monthly amount for such an event we walked to the out of town shop only to be told that they don't take the machines in store but gave me the number to call.
Back on Petroc I eventually got through and after having me try several things the lady pronounced that windows would have to be reinstalled which would mean it would be restored to factory settings and I would have to reinstall all my programs. Luckily I have all my work backed up on to a mini hard drive......take heed all you who do not back up!
However in order to reinstall windows we need the recovery discs so since I did not have the foresight to bring them with me I have to wait for them...meanwhile I am bereft without my computer.
The weather is wonderful and we are moored in a very pleasant spot so have to look on the bright side.

Thursday 8th May

Visited Banbury market to stock up on veg and fruit before setting off in glorious sunshine. We went through the swing bridge in the centre and Banbury lock..there are always lots of onlookers here ready to chat.....and down to the watering point. By the time all was complete here the washing machine was finished and we were all shipshape again. No destination in mind. As we left Grants lock a passing boat told us it was a pleasant walk through fields to Kings Sutton village if we moored before bridge 177.
We took their advice and had a great early evening walk, mainly through fields of buttercups, to the very pretty village of Kings Sutton with a church to visit and 3 pubs to choose from for a pre-dinner drink.

Friday 9th May

Unbelievably we awoke to pouring rain, much to Geoff's displeasure. However we were up and about very early and by 9.15 it had ceased and we were off again in bright sunshine.
This stretch of the canal has quite a few lifting bridges between farmers fields which are normally left open for us but when we reached bridge 181 it was down. The surrounding banks were quite inhospitable but we managed to get the nose in for Geoff to get ashore. This was not the end of the saga as no amount of tugging on the chain which one use to pull it up had any effect. Eventually Geoff climbed on the counterbalance arm and had to crawl on his hands and knees to the far end. When he reached the end, all 17 1/2 stone of him, caused the arm to drop and the bridge to lift.....he said it was just like a fairground ride!



A little further on we stopped at Ayno Wharf for fuel and discovered that they had some fresh home made steak and kidney pies..that took care of supper. We can thoroughly recommend them if you are passing that way.
Another couple of miles and we spotted another idyllic mooring, no houses, fields of buttercups and sheep, so decided to stop. Lazy afternoon and I tried out my new umbrella contraption on the tiller arm to shelter me from the sun.


No comments: