Thursday, 14 May 2009

Thursday 14th May
The big gap in this blog is due to our going away for a weekend at a country house! Sister-in-law Edith had invited all the family and lots of friends to celebrate in style. She had hired "The Dower House", one of 6 houses in the grounds of Knowlton Court which is a large country house where they do wedding receptions, situated between Dover & Canterbury. Whilst it was not luxurious it was a lovely house, extremely comfortable and a good time was had by all.

The Lounge

Small Lounge or Library

Front of the Dower House

Rear of the Dower House
Several of us indulged in rather energetic pastimes during the course of the weekend as you can see below.....I had not ridden a horse for well over 20 years and in retrospect it was a rather foolish thing to do! Getting up was hard enough but I seriously felt I would never get off again, and it was a very undignified descent! The bit in between (2hour hack) was fine, but I certainly felt the effects in the following couple of days.

Gill Astride!
On the Sunday Morning I indulged in another pastime which had not been tried for longer as there was a tennis court...this was an altogether less painful occupation.
Geoff did not partake of any of these strenuous activities, preferring to save his energy for the eating and the drinking!
The main party was on the Friday night and there were about 50+ people there. Catering staff came in to do the whole thing and we were really spoiled. All the family were there for the weekend including the two grandchildren and the weather was extremely kind throughout.
Monday we drove our car back to Giles & Susannah's, had supper with them and then Giles drove us back to Petroc in the evening.
Tuesday was supposed to be the day to start our journey northwards but we decided to have a day to recover and do the laundry.
Wednesday ( 6 miles, 9 locks) we set of early from Cropredy and were moored at Fenny Compton before noon. The weather by now had turned it ugly face towards us and most of the journey was done in the rain, which is not to my liking.
In the evening Ian ( Christine Gillespie came to visit and we had supper in the Wharf Inn. They returned to Petroc for coffee afterwards and when they left Geoff walked them back to their car together with Barney. On the return journey Barney slipped into the canal and discovered that he could swim!!! Geoff had to haul him out and Barney was not overly impressed.
Thursday (today) (9 miles, 8 locks) Geoff had a bout of press-onitis and decided we should have a really early start (0630!!). Being a dutiful wife ......... I complied, but by now I was feeling less than wonderful and the blame has to lie at the feet of grandson Finley as he has given me his cold...the penalty for too many cuddles over the weekend I feel.
However the rain held off and we managed to get as far as The Folly at Napton and Geoff decided that enough was enough (it was 11.15 by then and coffee time) Barnaby does not seem to have been put off by his dunking and still followed Geoff faithfully over all the locks
Middle of the afternoon brought a loud knocking on the side of Petroc and we found Phil & Victoria from Clifton Cruisers (Petroc's winter home). The had Heidie & Ben the Alsations with them so Barney was pleased.

Three dogs would like a piece of cake too!

The forecast for tomorrow sounds dire so we could be staying put, but we shall see what the morning brings.

No comments: