Sunday 19 September 2021

Stalled in Oxford

 After the fun and games in Abingdon we decided to make a run for Oxford at get back on the Oxford Canal.   Nearly made it !  We thought we would have a last night on the Thames moored at East Street.    There I go again……..making plans…..still haven’t learnt my lesson.   

Lovely trip up the river as the weather was kind.

Plenty of space to moor when we arrived.   So far so good…….until 1am when Geoff woke me to say he felt very unwell.  Not heart this time but rash all over body and splitting headache and hands all swollen.   Tried 111 for a change of numbers!   However on telling them symptoms they upgraded and he was eventually carted off yet again by ambulance to the John Radcliffe.  

After a very frustrating day yesterday (Saturday) when I was unable to get through to hospital and find out anything at all.   I eventually had a phone call from a doctor at 10pm with some information and with profuse apologies for lack of information for 21 hours.   I was a bit upset by this time😳😳

Short story is he is vey unwell and the possible cause, yet to be confirmed, is that it is a severe allergic reaction to the new drug they put him on after his last heart episode on Tuesday.   

Giles and I managed to get in to see him today as he is now on a proper ward……you have to book a slot to visit.

Couldn’t find out much about plan of action etc but he is on insulin intravenously as the reaction has made his diabetes play up.   Also on fluids intravenously as not eating at all.  He did look a sorry sight and not able to talk very long.

Emma coming up tomorrow for visiting and hopefully she will be able to ask better question than me and we can find out more.

Meanwhile I am moored in a safe convenient place just a few miles from the hospital and have been told I can stay here as long as necessary.  

2 comments:

Andrew Turner said...

Oh dear… you two have really had a memorable - for all the wrong reasons! - season.
Poor Geoff. I do hope it doesn’t take too long to stabilise his condition. I had no idea he had diabetes to contend with …
I’m glad you have the “children” close enough to support you both.
Exhausting for you. I hope you can get enough rest to keep your strength up…
Much love from us both!

Pat G said...

Oh dear Gill, we are so sorry to hear about Geoff's illness and your worry. At least he is in hospital and receiving treatment which doesn't always happen these days. We are thinking of you both and hoping all goes well in the very near future.
Much Love, Pat
and David