Wednesday 7 July 2021

Not the most successful of days.

 

Great artwork

The day started well enough as there was no rain!   The goals of the day were some restocking of the fridge and to find a suitable mooring for Geoff to stay whilst I am in London.

The first was achieved when we moored at Wolverton where there is a huge Tesco.   It was a convoluted walk to each it however involving a lot of steps.   Luckily our grannies shopping trolly has a very clever set of 3 wheels on either side which allows you to go up and down steps without having to resort to back breaking carrying.   Especially good as Geoff's baack is still not good.     This is where the station is for my trip tomorrow.   The moorings were not good for a prolonged stay however.    

Decision taken to  move on into New Bradwell.  Our guide book said there were frequent buses from there either ahead to Milton Keynes or back to Wolverton.   Since I could catch my train from either it seems a reasonable decision.

Initially moored in nice open countryside just short of New Bradwell, nicely settled, good internet and TV.   However we had to moor on stakes and we were nsooner settled that the aft pin was pulled out by a passing boat.   Obviously this would be no good for Geoff for 5 days!   So engine back on and we carried on for 1/2 a mile.    I had already walked up and saw there were spaces, slightly more built up but pleasant enough and no stakes required.

By this time after our shopping run we were both tired so pulled over to moor, plenty of space.    But it was too shallow for us, try as we might we could not get close enough alongside.   Crept forwad inch by inch and eventually managed to get the bow reasonably close with the stern poking out.   At least the canal was wide enough.   By this time it was nearly 2pm, much later than out usual stopping time and we had both had enough.

Later after a suitable rest I decided to go and find my bus stop for tomorrow.    Ha Ha
Easier said than done.   I found the bust stop with no problem but there was a notice sayin that due to resurfacing work, buses today and tomorrow were being rerouted and there would be no buses from the stop.   I tried in vain to find the street where they were being rerouted by which time the heavens opened and I didnt have a waterproof.     I ended up sheltering in a bus shelter at yet another bus stop (also no buses tomorrow)

By the time I found my way back to Petroc I collapsed in front of the television in time to see Roger Federer knocked out of the semi finals.

Not our best day!    We have a new plan for tomorrow.......we will go to the nearby pub at lunchtime and Geoff can have a beer whilst I ask them if they can get me a taxi!

Watch this space........................................

No comments: