Saturday 24 July 2021

An eventful few days

 An eventful few days we could perhaps have done without.

Tuesday was scheduled to be another hot hot hot day so we determined on an even earlier start.

Thy heard me making the morning cup of tea at 5am!
No one else gets up at the time we do,,,,


We crept away as the sun was still waking up

The plan was to see what the mooring was like in Marsworth (and the pub!) as we were expecting visitors on Thursday,

Waiting for the first lock to empty
The trouble with going so early is that we dont find anyone to share the locks with.  This means that we have to fill very slowly so that I dont get thrown around in the lock.   Geoff seems to have got it sussed out now and allows me a reasonably smooth ascent.   We are still climbing to the summit at Tring.  After that it will be downhill all the way to London.

We were extremely lucky to find a mooring that was mostly in the shade at Marsworth just before the sani station.   Water etc could wait, shade was the most important,  I had a walk ahead after we were tied up and although there were spaces before and after the first lock, none afforded the same shade.

With heat forecast to continue for the next few days we decided to stay here for our visitors on Thursday.   We took a stroll up to the Red Lion to see if it was Ok for Thursday visitors.  Good village pub would do fine.  The plan was to move on Friday up the 7 locks at Marsworth to the summit.   It was forecast to be slightly cooler but we still planned an early start.

NEVER PLAN!

In the evening it was my club bridge night.  In the middle of playing I heard a knock on the boat which I had to investigate as Geoff had already retired for the night.   It was a gentleman from a neighbouring boat asking if we could accompany him to investigate the boat between us,  It was all open, hatches doors etc and he hadnt seen anyone around for a couple of days,   He thought he should check on board in case someone ws ill below.......he had once investigated in similar circumstances and found a dead body!  I had to go and rouse Geoff as I had left 3 other bridge players waiting for me.

Much grumbling as due to the heat he had very little clothes on.   However duly sorted, no dead bodies and he had a good chat with the other chap who turned out to be ex RAF.

Back to bed for Geoff and back to bridge for me.   

About half an hour later I heard the first rumble of thunder,,,,,,but I was actully in th emiddle of playing a hand this time so I ignored it.   Petroc was fully open, hatches windows etc,

Suddenly the heavens opened,,,rain coming in my bedroom windows which forced me to take action.  Its quite a feat to play a card, put in a window, play another card put in another window......

Luckily the noise had woken Geoff yet again and this almost nude figure was prancing from end to end closing hatches etc.   We do see life.......


Wednesday I worked all day on Giles accounts......never get bored!!!

In the early evening we decided to take a stroll to one of the pubs.  We had booked a table at the Red Lion but since they were expecting a wake party of 30 we decided to see what else was on offer.    The Anglers Retreat was voted a no no as it was much further to walk, not clever in this heat.

Later I retreated to my aft cabin and TV and about 8.30 I realsied that my usual bedtime drink had not appeared.  I trotted forward to see what the reason was to find a very woebegone figure saying he didnt feel very well.   Questioning elicited the information that he had chest pains.   Uh Oh!!  Maybe the heat????  

Phone call immediately to Emma who told me to put the phone down and dial 999 immediately.   There was a slight wait as they were obviously busy.  Whilst waiting, on Emmas instructions,  I got out our blood pressure monitor and took a reading and it said his pulse was 196 so I thought I had done it incorrectly.   I am not good in these situations so there is a bit of dithering!!   However about 1/2 to 3/4 hour later an ambulance with is flashing light appeared at the nearby bridge and these two young, slight girls (ladies) appeared.   They were delightful and very professional.   Lots of quesions, hooked up to heart machine and telephone calls ensued.   Meanwhile I am relaying to Emma who is all set to try and get up here....however with no car and 9 oclock at night it was not possible.

It was eventually diagnosed that he was in SVT ( not a heart attack) and would have to be admitted.   

They decided it was not safe for him to walk to the ambulance down the towpath, so they fetched their wheelie stretcher.......good job it had wheels!   I felt quite sorry for them as neither of them was vey big.   It was quite strenuous pushing and pulling Geoff who is no lightweight, along a rather bumpy towpath.   I had hastily packed a bag with a few essentials to send with him.  I was not allowed to go with them due to COVID.

Very weird back on Petroc as I am not used to being on my own.   I managed better than I thought and early in the morning I had a text from Geoff saying he was in the recovery place felling tired but Ok.   Drugs had failed to get the heart back into rhythm so they had to shock it back.   He had this done a few years ago but that time he had AF ( similar but different!)   I have now googled the difference between the two and had Emma explain it to me very clearly.......

He ended up having 2 nights in the hospital possibly due to the fact that they couldnt agree on further action, if any.   He saw two different consultants (Big men he called them) who said different things.

Patricia and Brian duly came on Thrsday and we had our scheduled lunch and catch up, just minus Geoff.  They were great and took me shopping to Tescos in Tring and then to see Geoff in hospital in High Wycombe.   I had to book a visiting slot under current regulations so had booked for 3.30.  At this stage we thought he might have been released and we could bring him back.   Not to be as he was still waiting to go for an Ecocardiogram and no news of when.  He was glad of the visit but I am under no illusion that he wanted to see me,   I had packed his bag with a change of clothes, phone and ipad but had forgotten his glassed and his headphones!!  Duly remedied together with a pork pie.  Lunch was good he said but supper was destined to be a sandwich.

he eventually had the Ecocardiogram early afternoon( I think that is the correct term but not sure) which proved to be OK.  Giles and Boe collected him just after 5 and brought him back where he enjoyed a pint at the Red Lion.

From this ......

..... to this

We plan a quiet weekend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

9 comments:

Andrew Turner said...

Oh dear… quite unpleasantly eventful for both of you!
PLEASE do have a quiet weekend - nothing more strenuous than raising cooling drinks…
Take care…

BigJohn said...

Oh you poor things! It takes me back to the occasions when we had to call out the ambulance for Fi - not easy on a boat. I could have done with What3words on at least one occasion! I hope Geoff recovers well. Take care. John

Gillygrove said...

Do the ambulances use What3words words John?

Gillygrove said...

Hello Unknown……….who are you

Andrew Turner said...

Andrew (Turner) - don’t understand why it listed me as “anonymous”!,

Gillygrove said...

Now it has changed to your name!

Andrew Turner said...

It made me jump through several hoops - like signing into my Google account, proving I wasn’t a robot and after all that my name appeared!
I do hope he behaves himself and stops scaring you!

Mike Todd said...

Sorry we only had the chance to wave at you this afternoon - not possible to stop for a chat . . .

Gillygrove said...

Sor I was a bit slow getting up to wave but have injured my back so we have been resting here a couple of days……