Friday 24 August 2018

Hiding at Cookham

A dull start to the day on WEdnesday
 but a good view from my kitchen window
Only two nights here this time and that only because I was off to London on Tuesday.  Windsor is quite convenient for Clapham Junction, just 45 minutes direct.
We decided on one of our early starts for Wednesday so we were off chocks at 0715 but lo and behold as we left there were 4 boats ahead of us....must all be insomniacs.  We wanted to position ourselves at Cookham where we were expecting friends John and Rosi for the night.  They had booked a nearby hotel and I had booked dinner in the Ferry pub.  We ate there on the way down with friends and thought it was OK, but this time I was not so impressed.  Maybe I just chose the wrong thing on the menu!!

One is spoilt for choice in the village of Cookham for eating places, there are at least 5 pubs and several other eating establishments.  Still we had a good evening catching up with news from back home in Cornwall.  Cornwall is awash with tourists we are told........mind you if we had stayed in Windsor it would have been as bad.  Cookham seems a good place to hide away for the bank holiday weekend.  
Good view of Cliveden on the way down.

Another trip to London on Thursday for me staying overnight this time.  Gransdaughter Kensa is growing apace and I did a fair bit of walking along the embankment pushing the pram whilst Emma caught up on her sleep after a couple of less than perfect nights!  Being allowed out with her on my own is progress as I wasn`t allowed to do that at first....its amazing what lack of sleep will do for a mother!

Total distance:9.28 miles Elapsed time:3h17m31s
Locks:
Bridges:6 
Average speed:2.82 mph (4.03 lock/mph) 
Now it is Friday and the temperature has certainly dropped.  When we moored here on the way down we couldn`t move for the heat, now I am considering mu hot water bottle for bedtime!

No comments: