Thursday 16 August 2018

About turn

Sailing on the Thames

Kingston Moorings
The stay in Kingston was ideal.   Great position for the trains, shops and walking for Barney.  Sadly 5 nights is the longest you can stay and then not return for 3 days.  However if we had had the time we could have gone back to Hampton court for three days and then returned......but even with the time I doubt I could have persuaded Geoffrey.   We have done well to get down this far against his better judgement.   Still he was heard to mutter the other day that the Thames wasn`t all that bad!!

I went up to London Tuesday returning Wednesday.  I used the station at Hampton Wick which is slightly closer that Kingston which was fine for me but would not be for Emma to visit as there is no lift and lots of stairs......once you have a baby in a buggy you realise how difficult life can be getting around.....it must be even worse for wheelchair users.

She made it out on Thursday (after the rain ceased) by using Kingston station and Dave joined us in the evening and we had a good meal (yet again)  at Cote.   We have never yet had a bad meal there.  

It has been lovely sitting on our mooring viewing all the night life on the other bank but being tucked away on the quiet side.

Thursday was our rainiest day so far this year and I had a very miserable shop.   Stupidly I decided to go to the big Sainsburys not realising how far it was....I kept thinking it was round the next corner.....
When I reached it eventually, somewhat wet, I discovered that you could call a taxi direct which I decided was a good plot for the return journey.   Accordingly I bought more than planned which filled my wheelie and an extra bag........
Sadly the taxi plan failed.  The resident one wouldn`t come out due to heavy traffic!!!!  Despite a very helpful lady in Customer Services who phoned several other firms I was unsuccessful so had a long trudge back with all my goodies in the pouring rain!!

The day ended well with the rain clearing and Emma`s visit.

No comments: