Tuesday 21 May 2019

yup....still in Banbury.....BUT

Well it never rains but what it pours...…..first the flood, then the washing machine and then my computer.  

On the washing machine front Tooleys came up trumps.   I checked that Midland Chandlers had some arriving `drekley` as they say in Cornwall.   So it was ordered through Tooleys and they arranged their engineer, Steve,  to fit it, which he has done successfully today....not an easy job as boatbuilders don't always take account of things needing to be replaced when they build them in!  However it was achieved today and first load done...how exciting!!   I did have occasion to use the launderette yesterday as the laundry basket wouldn't hold any more......

On several days the Banbury moorings have looked like a ghost town.
Note the people walking over the footbridge.
That footbridge is now closed making life a bit more difficult when moored outside Tooleys.   Its a long walk round to take Barney to Spiceball Park.

This is all part of the plan for great things on the waterfront that have been promised for some years now.   There is to be a hotel on the town side and a cinema on the other side where the car park was (this is now closed)
We have never seen it so empty
The white hoardings on the left are where the car park is, now closed.
And so to the other big misfortune......my computer.    It just gave up the ghost.   It could have gone away and been restored but I would still have had the task of putting all my programs back on and it was nearly 7 years old......so I am now 3/4 of the way through getting up and running again.   Most of my stuff was backed up to date but a couple of things had slipped through the net and were a few days or in one case a couple of weeks out of date...….take note everyone....back up your data every day!!!!

Our other problem with our list to port has still been bothering me so I discussed with Steve whilst he was fitting the washing machine.    He said we must still have water in the bilges which we needed to get out.   He asked where our inspection hatch was and we hadn't a clue!   Well we`ve only had the boat 13 years...… We searched in all the cupboards to no avail, so a quick call to Rob at Clifton to ask him where they used to drain her from the flood a few weeks ago.   Lo and behold it is under a false floor in the bottom back step.    I`ve only kept my hoover and iron there for all these years....who knew???

So Geoff had a great afternoon with the battery operated small hand pump he had recently bought.  Barney and I were forced to decamp to the park to avoid the mutterings and possible bad language.   Two big bucketfuls removed and it has made a difference already.    More to do when Geoff has got his strength back.

In between all this I had my time down baby sitting Kensa on Thursday and Friday.   

So tomorrow is moving day...…...the goal this time is Lower Heyford in very slow time.    I leave on holiday with Emma and family in 10 days time and Geoff has decided that Heyford will suit very well for Barney and him during my absence.   Well that's the plot anyway...unless something else breaks...  Hey Ho

No comments: