Friday 28 May 2021

Off to a cracking start

 A very apt title to this post😱😱😱😱

After a pleasant weekend with friends Mary and Ivan we were reunited with the good ship Petroc on Monday.   We were lucky enough to complete the unloading of the car before extremely heavy rain and thunder set in.We even managed a meet up for supper with Iain, Christine and Fiona in the Brasenose Arms in Cropredy.  Under new management, we had an excellent meal.

With two more visits to friends planned before venturing out onto the cut, we returned to Petroc.   Then it all went wrong!  Somehow, and I have no recollection, I slipped down the step getting inside.  Alcohol cannot be blamed as I had had one small glass of wine before driving back.  In fact if I had had more it would probably have been better!


As it was I landed in a tangled heap amidst the chair situated just inside having passed by the stove en route, thankfully not lit.

It was a good job there was no one on the neighbouring boats as they would have thought Geoff was murdering me, such were my howls of pain.

With some difficulty and with assistance from Geoff I managed to get to bed thinking I might have a few bruises in the morning.   However the pain intensified through the night and at 4am, by which time Geoff was blissfully asleep, I called 111 as I was convinced I could have broken my hip.   

This line seems to be a good triage system albeit there were a lot of admin questions before we got to the all important....What seems to be the problem?   However the promised call from a doctor was not long in materialising.  He was very reassuring and I was able to believe him that it was not my hip.   He ended by saying that if the pain got worse or I was worried I should go to the A and E in Banbury.   I debated the pros and cons of this for the the next few hours but the decision was made by daughter Emma who insisted I went if only for stronger pain killers.  

This managed to fill the morning.  Only 1.5 hours wait which could have been a lot worse and I then saw a very nice doctor who confirmed no hip broken, but a couple of cracked ribs and prescribed stronger pain killers.......

So here I am confined to boat and departure delayed.  Not the best start to our summer cruising, BUT, it could have been so much worse........so whilst I am exceedingly cross I also thank heaven for small mercies😎😎 

To a Mouse

On Turning her up in her Nest, with the Plough, November 1785.

Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim’rous beastie,
O, what a panic’s in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
          Wi’ bickerin brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an’ chase thee
          Wi’ murd’ring pattle!

I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion
Has broken Nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion,
          Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,
          An’ fellow-mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen-icker in a thrave
          ’S a sma’ request:
I’ll get a blessin wi’ the lave,
          An’ never miss ’t!

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It’s silly wa’s the win’s are strewin!
An’ naething, now, to big a new ane,
          O’ foggage green!
An’ bleak December’s winds ensuin,
          Baith snell an’ keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an’ waste,
An’ weary Winter comin fast,
An’ cozie here, beneath the blast,
          Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
          Out thro’ thy cell.

That wee-bit heap o’ leaves an’ stibble
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou’s turn’d out, for a’ thy trouble,
          But house or hald,
To thole the Winter’s sleety dribble,
          An’ cranreuch cauld!

But Mousie, thou art no thy-lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
          Gang aft agley,
An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
          For promis’d joy!

Still, thou art blest, compar’d wi’ me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But Och! I backward cast my e’e,
          On prospects drear!
An’ forward tho’ I canna see,
          I guess an’ fear!

The best laid plans of mice and men



5 comments:

BigJohn said...

And you are able to blog? That's determination. I hope the pain eases by the day but do take care.

Unknown said...

Bon courage Gilly! They say Break a Leg to actors before the curtain goes up to bring luck. Let's coin Crack a Rib (or two) for crew members to guarantee a rewarding summer's cruise. For your readers it is a mercy you did not hurt your fingers. Thanks too for a wee dram of Robbie Burns. May you soon be able to laugh and turn over in bed without pain!
Rick

Gillygrove said...

Which Rick are you???

Andrew Turner said...

What an eventful start! Definitely more alcohol could have left you more relaxed as you fell - but may also have released far worse language... Take care - we’d prefer to see your autumn return in good condition!

Gillygrove said...

Who are you anonymous??