Saturday 12 September 2020

A week in Oxford

 Monday saw our departure from Thrupp.   A gentle run down to Oxford.


Some stretches quietly rural

Some quite closed in.....our small lifting bridge ahead with much bigger bridge
 carrying the main road up above, just visible through the trees.

One lock in need of some TLC over the winter methinks.

A lovely memorial to a 78 yeard old lady.

After a very slow final stage of the journey as we pass lots of moored boats, we filled up with water etc and then found plenty of space at Aristotle Bridge moorings.    These moorings are designated as quiet moorings.   We are asked to keep engine noise to a minimum and generally keep quiet.  The notice fascinates me as there is a park on the towpath side where children play (it dosent bother us but children make noise!) and on the opposite side the houses are all set well back from the waters edge so are unlikely to hear anything.  I am not sure the notice is directed at the correct people!

On Wednesday we moved down to the end of the canal so I was near the station.  London this week for 2 days grannysitting......

This was the day we heard there were more COVID restrictions coming into force.   Slightly worrying as our plan is for a week on the Thames.  Geoff felt if we were to go into lockdown again he would rather be home in Conwall!   However Emma and I managed to persuade him we should keep to plan A for the time being.   Accordingly, on Friday, in my absence he moved Petroc down the last lock and onto the moorings just before the first Thames Lock.

Forecast looks good for the week, even rather hot, so we will take advantage of what could be the last of summer.

One good thing to come out of lockdown is my bridge playing.   In previous years I have missed playing  all summer, but during lockdown I was persuaded to try playing online.  This was something I had sworn I would never do, but any port in a storm........

I now really enjoy it and can continue to play whilst we are away.  I think it will be a while before we are back to playing at the club so this could be the new norm.

No comments: